Thursday, March 24, 2016

Are You Passionate About Your Career?

Author:  Ellen V. Platton, Learning & Talent Development Professional

Are You Passionate About Your Career?


Have you ever asked yourself if you are following your passion? If you are unsure, think about what you like to do, what inspires you in your everyday life.  What do you enjoy doing?  Do you like to analyze situations?  Are you someone who finds joy in creating something with your hands?  Do you like to help others?  Once you discover your passion, ask yourself another question.  Are you incorporating your passion into your career? 

A friend once advised me that my career should involve my passion.  So what was my passion?  I knew I felt so incredibly inspired when I was a coach for the Manhattan Special Olympics Volleyball team.  By coaching the athletes, I helped them to become the best human beings possible.  The game was not just about winning, rather "being brave in the attempt to win".  I thrived on their engagement.  They pushed themselves and helped each other to stretch their abilities on and off the court.  We worked together to improve their skills and worked as a team.  When training, my #1 rule was to enjoy the training and to have fun.  

I knew I needed to incorporate this same passion for training into my career. I became a Learning & Talent Development Professional.  To this day, I am still incredibly inspired to engage individuals when training.  I am passionate about providing people with the tools and resources that help them to become more efficient and effective at their jobs.  My goal is to stretch their skills and abilities both in and out of the classroom.....and to always enjoy and have fun.  I am still passionate about my career. 

Are you following your passion? Please comment or share your passion



1 comment:

  1. Ellen, thanks for the posting on one's passion and career.

    To many of us "children of children of the Depression", passion did not enter into our career decisions. For me "get a good job" was the driving motivation.

    But having done many things in many roles, I am moving toward finding a job with work activities that I can get lost in, where time flies because I'm having fun.

    Reminds me of the old saying: "If you enjoy what you do, you'll never work a day in your life".

    ReplyDelete